Design build construction is the term used when the General Contractor provides in-house design to support their building and remodeling services. The design build process can be applied to any form of remodel or new construction and it’s often referred to as the “all-in-one” construction experience.
In the traditional “bid-to-build” model, the homeowner hires a designer or architect, and then takes the finished design to contractors to bid. The real issue here is that architects and designers seldom design to a specific budget; rather they design to satisfy the big-picture vision of the client. Additionally, many aspects of materials and hardware choices are left up to the client – which adds time and complexity.
From the very start of a design build project, the client, contractor and architect all work together to complete the client’s vision based on a set budget. As construction begins, changes or unexpected issues that arise are resolved in real-time keeping the project budget and timeline on track.
Design build has been gaining popularity over the last decade because it’s a proven method to help homeowners get quality work completed on time, and on budget. By having the General Contractor and the designer working together from the project’s inception, the team can make sure that the design takes into consideration the overall project budget – including materials, appliances and contingencies.
What are the benefits of using a Design/Build process for the consumer?
- A Design/Build remodeler will make sure your design and your budget are in sync with each other.
- The client saves time with one-stop shopping. The Design/Build remodeler handles all aspects of the project from initial conception through the permit process and on to final details of the construction itself.
- The client saves money, eliminating fees to re-design if the original design is over budget. They save money by obtaining valuable cost saving advice during the design and planning process.
- The client gets a higher quality product. Trade contractors and material suppliers are consulted and their input and advice is used in designing mechanical systems, installation details, energy-saving devices, etc.
- Because the contractor, designer, homeowner and interior decorator work together as a team, they create a synergy that produces results far better than those obtained by each working in isolation.
We have broken down the process into several phases.
- Initial Consultation: Together we decide what you want to build and define the budget for the project.
- Design Agreement: This is where we explore many creative design ideas while making sure we are staying within the budget. We design your project and develop the detailed scope of work and give you a guaranteed lump sum cost for the work.
- Construction: When the design and estimating process is complete and a contract is signed, we will transition the project to our production department. A Project Manager is assigned who will monitor the job daily and discuss progress and decisions with you. Expect to receive a weekly update from your project manager.
- Post Construction: Once we have finalized your project, we provide you with a close out package. We provide a generous 4/10-year warranty on all labor and materials provided by us or by our trade contractors.