Winter’s rains and winds will soon be here, so make time to get your house in shape for rainy season. Here are a few things to check to winterize your home:
- Chimneys and fireplaces: Inspect the fire brick for cracks that need to be repaired to prevent fire from spreading. Make sure chimney is clear of bird’s nests and other debris and check to make sure the flue opens and closes fully. Every few years, have your chimney cleaned professionally.
- Heater: Give your furnace a tune-up from a professional technician, who will change the filters, repair damaged ducts, and check for leaks.
- Doors: Check weatherstripping on the sides and bottom of your doors.
- Gutters and downspouts: Make sure they are clear of any debris.
- Roof: Look for missing or damaged shingles or tiles where leaks can occur.
- Patio: Cover patio furniture and barbeque and secure umbrellas.
- Rodent prevention: Patch holes in vents and crawl spaces to prevent rodents from seeking shelter in your home.
Leave a Reply